Saturday, October 31, 2015

Review | The Lost Girl

The Lost Girl (Fear Street Relaunch #3) by R. L. Stine
September 2015 by St. Martin's Griffin
261 pages
Four stars


"Generations of children and teens have grown up on R.L. Stine's bestselling and hugely popular horror series, Fear Street and Goosebumps. Now, the Fear Street series is back with a chilling new installment, packed with pure nightmare fodder that will scare Stine's avid fan base of teen readers and adults.

New student Lizzy Palmer is the talk of Shadyside High. Michael and his girlfriend Pepper befriend her, but the closer they get to her, the stranger she seems… and the more attractive she is to Michael. He invites her to join him on a snowmobile race that ends in a tragic accident. Soon, Michael's friends start being murdered, and Pepper becomes convinced that Lizzy is behind the killings. But to her total shock, she and Michael are drawn into a tragic story of an unthinkable betrayal committed over 60 years ago. Frightening and tense in the way that only this master of horror can deliver, The Lost Girl is another terrifying Fear Street novel by the king of juvenile horror" - Goodreads



I loved reading the Fear Street books when I was younger. R. L. Stine has always been one of my favorite authors and I have such a high level of respect for him. I haven't had a chance to read any of the new books in the Fear Street relaunch yet. I saw somewhere that he said this one was his favorite in the relaunch series. Of course, I knew I had to read it right away.

The Lost Girl switches between 1950 and present day, with two separate characters. The part that takes place in 1950 focuses on Beth Palmieri, and her family who plan to open a ranch which is being challenged by a family who own a competing ranch. Present day focuses on Michael, just your average teenager at Shadyside high school, his girlfriend Pepper and their group of friends.

I wasn't sure how the two stories were related or how they would come together but I was really surprised by the ending. What I originally thought was going on, wasn't exactly right. It was so much better. This book was so gruesome, thrilling and creepy. It's not really that the story is scary, it just plays with your mind. I don't want to say too much about the plot. It's better to go into it headfirst. 

After reading this novel, I really can't wait to get my hands on the other books in the Fear Street relaunch, and even re-read some of the originals. I think this book would be really good for anyone who doesn't read horror that often, or someone who just wants to see what it's like. It won't give you nightmares but it's creepy. 

As I said before, I have so much respect for R. L. Stine. After so many years of writing, he shows no signs of stopping or running out of ideas. One of the things I love the most is that with the changing of times, things that used to scare someone before, can be solved by just pulling out your cell phone and calling for help. He finds a way around these things to make it realistic and still scary. He has such a talent for this style of writing. I can't wait to see what he comes up with next.

No comments:

Post a Comment