Friday, October 16, 2015

Review | Down The Rabbit Hole

Down The Rabbit Hole: Curious Adventures and Cautionary Tales of A Former Playboy Bunny by Holly Madison
June 2015 by Dey Street Books
352 pages
Four stars


"A former girlfriend of Hugh Hefner describes how her years inside the Playboy Mansion went from a fairytale of A-list celebrity parties to an oppressive regime of strict rules, scheduled sex, and a total loss of identity, so much so that she even contemplated suicide." -Goodreads



Personally, I really enjoyed this book. I know it's kind of a hot topic and really just a he said-she said thing. Every person is going to see things differently than another and no one really has the right to say whether what Holly said in this is true or not. This is the story she is telling us, and I'll take it.

I really enjoyed Girls Next Door for the first few seasons that it was on TV. A lot of people said that Holly comes off horribly on TV but I enjoyed her bubbly personality. I found Kendra to be the one that I couldn't stand watching. It was interesting to get a view into this world that most people never get the chance to step foot into. 


If you can't tell by reading my reviews, I love non fiction books, particularly memoirs. I read a lot of celebrity books, regardless if I think the person has actually written the book or not. I read somewhere that Holly had a collaborator for this book, but didn't really find any proof of that. Even if she did, I think Holly has a very unique voice and the pace of her book was very easy to keep up with. I didn't feel that at any point she had really lost my attention. I would say this is absolutely one of the better books I have read recently. I certainly found it better than either of the books Kendra has written. To me, it's more honest and raw.

Yes, the whole idea of three girls living in the mansion with Hugh is very strange. I think that's why I enjoyed this book so much. It must have been such a bizarre situation, even for someone who dreamed of posing in Playboy or living in the mansion. A lot of people have said that Holly must have just been wanting to start drama with writing this book. I think she is just trying to prevent people from ending up in the same situation as her. 

I admire her for writing this book. I'm sure a lot of it was very difficult and she knew she would be upsetting people while writing it. I've always thought there was something off about Hugh Hefner. I believe the claims about him being a close minded man, who belittles woman. I think it's an important story to be told. Fame and money isn't all it's cracked up to be.

No comments:

Post a Comment