Thursday, October 29, 2015

Review | The House of The Stone

The House of the Stone (The Lone City #1.5) by Amy Ewing
July 2015 by Epic Reads Impulse
87 pages
Three stars



"In The Jewel, we followed Violet in her servitude under the Duchess of the Lake. Now we'll hear Raven's story and her time as a surrogate for the Countess of the Stone in this digital novella from Amy Ewing.
When Raven is bought at the Auction, she knows immediately that things will not go well. And when she arrives at the Countess's palace, Raven quickly discovers that the Countess is much less interested in having a baby than experimenting with Raven's mind and body. Raven can only hope for an escape…and to see Violet again, all the while reminding herself that she is Raven Stirling, and she does matter." -Goodreads



If you have not read the previous books in the series, beware of spoilers!

I loved reading The Jewel. One of the many mysteries was, what is happening to Raven next door? I was so so excited to see that this novella was coming out. I'll admit, I'm a huge sucker for them. I usually borrow them from an ebook library, so I don't really know what the value of this story is for the price.

This novella follows Raven during the auction, where she is bought by the Countess of the Stone, and her time afterwards. Of course, she is bought by the one person she did not want to be owned by. In the Countesses' house, she is kept in awful conditions, and referred to as "it". The one person she thinks may be an ally, still would not help her or make things any easier for her. 


If you thought things were bad for Violet in The Jewel, just wait until you see how things are going for Raven. The Countess of the Stone is terrible and selfish. Raven is not treated like a person, just an object for her use. I really liked seeing the other, darker side, of what could happen if you were purchased as a surrogate.

My biggest complaint with this novella is just that it's not long enough. It seemed like right when the story got interesting, it ended. I think some of the things we learned in this novella will become important in the second installment in the series, The White Rose.

Overall, I'm really enjoying this story and I loved getting just a little more information on the story. I highly recommend this novella for fans of The Jewel. 

No comments:

Post a Comment