Thursday, August 27, 2015

Review | Dorothy Must Die

Dorothy Must Die (Dorothy Must Die #1) by Danielle Paige
April 2014 by HarperCollins
452 pages
Five stars


"I didn't ask for any of this. I didn't ask to be some kind of hero.

But when your whole life gets swept up by a tornado - taking you with it - you have no choice but to go along, you know?

Sure, I've read the books. I've seen the movies. I know the song about the rainbow and the happy little bluebirds. But I never expected Oz to look like this. To be a place where Good Witches can't be trusted, Wicked Witches may just be the good guys, and winged monkeys can be executed for acts of rebellion. There's still a yellow brick road - but even that's crumbling.

What happened? Dorothy.

They say she found a way to come back to Oz. They say she seized power and the power went to her head. And now no one is safe.

My name is Amy Gumm - and I'm the other girl from Kansas.
I've been recruited by the Revolutionary Order of the Wicked.
I've been trained to fight.
And I have a mission." - Goodreads




I went into this book not knowing what it was about. I knew it had something to do with Oz, but not much more than that. So I dove into this story headfirst and came out very surprised at how much I liked it. The storyline and characters are face paced and so addicting.

Amy Gumm is our sassy main character who is full of attitude and spunk. She is one of my favorite female characters in quite a while. Like Dorothy, her trailer in Kansas is hit by a tornado, and she is blown away to the land of Oz. But this isn't the Oz she has read about in books or seen in movies. It's dark and dangerous with Dorothy and company now being in charge. Dorothy has enslaved the munchkins to suck the magic out of Oz. After being thrown in jail Amy is recruited by the Revolutionary Order of the Wicked. She is a vital pawn in their mission. They want to kill Dorothy Gale. They disguise her as a servant in the castle.

There is so much depth to this book. The characters are well developed and have so much personality. The story is addicting and impossible to put down. It's dark and gory, which I love. You can feel that the danger is real for Amy. There is so much mystery. What happened to the sweet Dorothy we once knew? What is happening in Oz? This is a story that just keeps you wanting more. I want to know everything about these characters.

You know those books that you finish and you just want to turn back the first page and start again? This was one of those books for me. I really can't think of anything that I didn't love about Dorothy Must Die. I cannot wait to continue with the series. 

No comments:

Post a Comment